Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

Something really cool happened this Friday...

I was in the car with my younger brother (just got his temporary permit), and we were on our way a friend's house. We were getting close, and he looked into the mirror and said, "That Army car's been behind us for a while."

I looked behind us and sure enough, there was a car covered in US Army paraphernalia. Jokingly, I looked at my brother and said that it was probably my recruiter trying to get me to pick a day to go to MEPS.

Well, the Army car pulled onto the street where we were headed and after both of our cars had stopped, two fully-uniformed soldiers exited the vehicle and approached us.

"That's a great sticker you have on the back of your car there!" a Staff Sergeant told my brother. (The bumper he was referring to reads, "Kick their ass and take their gas!")

Sure enough, the two men were recruiters for the county we live in, but they live in the neighborhood in which my brother's friend lives...

So we chatted with them for a few minutes and then I went home.

In our few minutes together though, the soldiers told me something that just about made my stomach turn. Apparently, on a recent trip to the area high school to get permission to talk to students at lunch for recruiting purposes, the principle asked them the following question:

"What's the difference between you and the Neo-Nazis?"

I can't even begin to address the ignorance behind this statement...and it's a high school principle for crying out loud!

In some follow-up news, I got some homebrew apps working on my new PSP. Absolutely fantastic! I highly recommend purchasing one if you're at all into old-school gaming. The platform itself has some decent titles, but the WiFi internet, music player, and homebrew capacity really make the system great.

That's all I've got for now. I'm going to try to keep up with the news a little better from now on so I can make some comments about current events this week.

Enjoy your mother's day!
Peace out.

No comments: