Thursday, February 12, 2009

Observation

The other day I went to "Panda Express" for dinner. There were mostly men and women of Latin American ancestory working behind the counter. There was a man of Eastern Asian origins behind me in line.

It took 10 minutes of broken English (on both sides of the conversation) to get that man a to-go box of Chicken Fried rice. After it was all said and done, my friends and I shared a good laugh. From a strictly linguistics perspective, the fact that a (presumably) Chinese man can't order "Chinese" food from a (presumably) Mexican man in America because both have a limited grasp on the English language is hilarious!

*Important Note* This is not meant to come off as condescending, bigotous, or mean. It was just a really funny, SNL-esque situation I wanted to share...

That's all for now.

No comments: